Monday 21 November 2016

Back Stage with Katie Pritchard for Aladdin the Wok 'n' Roll Panto!

Aladdin the “Wok ‘n’ Roll” pantomime is only a few weeks away!

To get everyone in the festive mood, our very own Kate Pritchard – who will be playing Cuddles the Monkey in the show – has decided to ‘dish the goss’ on all the goings on in last week's rehearsals.

Here's what se had to say...


Well, well, well, where to start?

We have been having an absolute blast in Panto-camp this week!!

The first week is always the craziest…on day one, we get to the theatre, meet a whole bunch of new people that we’re going to be doing the show with, and then 5 minutes later, we’re doing a full read-through of the script for all of the creative team working on the show to watch. It’s chaos. Then after the read-through we go straight into song learning.


This year, I have decided to continue last years’ challenge of getting the most obscure instruments into songs. So far, I have managed Kazoo and Bongo’s…I’m trying really hard to get a Stylophone into the score at some point, but I’m not sure if the Musical Director Craig seems to interested in this clearly fantastic idea!!

This week, I’ve also been working on my monkey walks, and they’re getting pretty snazzy indeed, if I do say so myself. I have a wide range of three different walks at the moment…what a show off! Maybe I’ll even try for a different walk each time I enter the stage? We’ll see what Director Rob thinks. I’m pretty sure it’s the kind of idea that could get me an Oscar! Right? Right. I’ve also watched about 10 hours’ worth of monkey video’s to really get into character. I’ve been jumping and swinging around the place – much to my flatmates’ distaste. I think I definitely need to get to the gym to do some squats to make sure I am ready for the show…don’t want to get thigh-cramp mid-crouch, that would be ouchie!

I’ve not seen all the choreography yet, but the bits I have seen are wonderful! Full on dance breaks with Saxophones and Trumpets, followed by slapstick Ballets, and lovely duets. I can’t wait to see the full thing on the stage. Although, I mostly get to see the show from the back of the stage as I play my instruments. Just as well the cast this year all have beautiful backs!

I think it’s safe to say that we’ve had a fabulous first week of rehearsals! We have a brilliant cast and creative team, and the staff at the theatre are all excellent! Bring on week two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment